Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 31, 2017

To the trees

Hi all.   First up an update to my rubberized horse hair tutorial.  No photos unfortunately since I had to use it for another project.  The first try did not work.  The hair was brushed off and too fine.  I then used horse mane and tail hair collected over a period of time.  This was washed in dish washing detergent and let to dry until it was slightly damp.  Once it was slightly dame I put it in a salable freezer bag and added my rubber.  For the rubber I used mold making latex mixed one to one with water and added a couple of drops of dish washing liquid to breakup the water surface tension.  The whole bag was shaken up and mixed well and then I drained off any liquid latex left and pulled out the hair.  It was placed on a sheet of granny grating to drain completely.  

The project that I used it for was my forest and thought I would share.  Pines are made using this tutorial.  I followed it to make the armature and I used putty to make the bottom of the trunk.  Once the putty was set I spray painted them black, used spray adhesive to attach the flock and finished off with clear plasti-dip spray rubber.  The birch were made using my tutorial for Birch Trees. I added rubberized horse hair using fantastic elastic.  Once this was set I used the spray adhesive and plasti dip again when I added the flocking.  Bases are from 4 Ground.  I did a total of ten bases with twenty four removable tree bases.

Here are the photos. 

Here is the difference between the homemade rubberized horse hair and the purchased. 

Home made

I tried this before without the plasti dip and the trees shed quite a bit.
All my forest together.

They fit in one little 35L box

I had just finished when one of the guys in my game group asked me to base his trees too.  
Hope you like.
Snitchy sends