Total Pageviews

Friday, February 24, 2012

Non wargame post.

This is just a quick one to show off another hobby.  My wife collects skulls and skeletons.  For Valentines day I did this up for her. She got other stuff too, but she loved her "Chicken Bones".  I bought the specimen at the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show.  Then I made a shadow box and mounted it inside.  I made it look used like all of the purchased shadow boxes that we have.  The kids next door love coming over because it is like coming to a museum where they can handle the exhibits. 

The next few pictures will take a bit of an explanation.  Two years ago I was driving home and saw a badger that was hit by a car.  It was intact, and not leaking.  I bagged it up, brought it home, and buried it on my land.  My daughter and I just dug it up running all the loose dirt through three separate sized metal screens to get the small bones.  I think that I got the whole thing.
Then I boiled it up in a mixture of bleach and water to remove the collagen from the bone.  I did this on a burner plate out in my yard near the neighbors house that I don't like.  Lucky for him it did not stink.  Once I boiled it for four hours, I drained it out and soaked it in bleach over night.  It came up nice. 
This one is not mine, but it is what I intend to do.
Sorry for the photo quality.  It was with my phone.
Hope you like.
Snitchy sends.

3 comments:

  1. The house of skulls!

    Well we each have our hobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed good luck with building that badger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very cool. The intricacy of skeletal anatomy is fascinating. I would never have guessed that last picture was a badger.

    ReplyDelete