Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Building a Barrow

I have always been fascinated with chambered Long Barrows. Since the first time I heard about them reading Tolkens the Fellowship of the Ring.   Last weekend we visited Waylands Smithy and the Uffington White Horse. 

 


Since I finished the standing stones I decided to have a go at building a barrow.  The idea here is to build one with a visible non playable interior. 

 

I started by shaping the chambers in white foam and dressing them in “stones”.  I am not very keen on either type of foam that I am using.  Unfortunately  with the current situation I do not have much of a choice there so you go with what you have. 

 

Pollyfilla was used to finish the slope and then the interior and exterior stones were primed in black gesso and sand was glued on the floor.  Some details are added and now I am just waiting for the superglue to dry.  The interior will need to be painted prior to finishing construction on the top of the hill.  It will also need to be masked off when I paint it. 




1 comment: